2020 – 2021 WMU DIRECTOR, ARIEL SMITH
WMU offers organizations and approaches, as well as ministries, that enable every member of the church to learn about missions, become involved in missions, and live a missional lifestyle. WMU offers many opportunities to fulfill the six objective of WMU that are at the heart of missions education.
Through the organizations and approaches, adults, students, children, and preschoolers learn about the work and needs of missionaries. There are opportunities to participate personally in missions projects as well as develop a missions lifestyle—something for everyone.
Six Objective of WMU
- Pray for missions.
- Engage in mission action and witnessing.
- Learn about missions.
- Support missions.
- Develop spiritually toward a missions lifestyle.
- Participate in the work of the church and the denomination.
Benefits of Missions Education:
• Grow and mature in a loving atmosphere that is educationally sound
• Gain awareness about God, Jesus, the Bible, and church
• Understand more about God and His plan for the world and individuals
• Learn and apply the Bible to their lives
• Discover how God is at work in the world
• Learn how to pray and intercede for others
• Learn and practice tithing and giving to support missions
• See how God is at work in the world
• Understand more about God’s mission in the world and apply what they learn
• Reach out to the community and the world
• Explore God’s missionary purposes, resulting in personal commitment and obedience
• Reach and witness to the lost
• Increase giving to and praying for missions
• Fulfill the outward focus of the Great Commission
ALL GROUPS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE BWMU DAY GROUP MEET ON THE FIRST WEDNESDAY OF EVERY MONTH
BWMU ~ DAY GROUP – MOSTLY SENIORS THAT ARE HOME ALL DAY, WITH A FEW WOMEN IN THEIR 40’S. LED BY JEANETTE STARNES
BWMU ~ – THESE WOMEN ARE OF VARYING AGES. LED BY MARGARET ARNEY
BYWMU – NO PARTICULAR AGE FOR THESE WOMEN, BUT TEND TO BE YOUNGER. LED BY LORRIE VOLZ. YOUNG WOMEN ON MISSION (LORRIE VOLZ’S GROUP) HAS BEEN INVOLVED WITH THE SUMMER FOOD PROGRAM. ON AUGUST 23, 2014 THEY GAVE EACH SCHOOL AGE CHILD IN THE PROGRAM A NEW SET OF CLOTHING AND A BOOKBAG FULL OF SCHOOL SUPPLIES. MANY IN THE CHURCH, HELPED THE GROUP WITH THE LAST PART OF THE SUMMER FOOD PROGRAM. LORRIE VOLZ HAS MANY GREAT COMMENTS TO SHARE ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR EVENT: “THIS YEAR HAS BEEN A GREAT YEAR FOR THE PROGRAM. THESE CHILDREN AND THEIR FAMILIES HAVE BEEN ESPECIALLY THANKFUL FOR THE FOOD TO HELP FEED THE CHILDREN WHILE THEY WERE HOME FOR THE SUMMER. ALTOGETHER WE FED OVER 16 CHILDREN IN 5 FAMILIES. WE WANT TO THANK OUR CHURCH FAMILY FOR ALL THE HELP THEY HAVE GIVEN SO FAR THIS YEAR FOR THESE FAMILIES.”
BWMU ~AMONG FRIENDS – THESE WOMEN RANGE FROM COLLEGE AGE GIRLS TO WOMEN IN THEIR 40’S. LED BY AUDREY MOOD.
WELCOME TO GIRLS IN ACTION
Girls in Action® (GA®) is a missions discipleship organization for girls. Every girl in grades 1–6 can be a part of GA! Through GA, girls learn about, pray for, give to, and do missions work. They also make new friends and have lots of fun!
Relevant, ready-to-use weekly learning material
A Christ-based peer group for girls
Hands-on ministry experiences
Opportunities for girls to develop leadership skills
Learning about the biblical basis of missions
Godly mentors for girls
A great way to start a girls’ ministry
GA MOTTO, PLEDGE, AND VERSES
GA Motto: Go Forward
GA Scripture Verse: “Give thanks to the Lord. Worship him. Tell the nations what he has done. Announce how honored he is” (Isaiah 12:4 NIV).
GA Lifestyle Verse: “The Lord has shown you what is good. He has told you what he requires of you. You must treat people fairly. You must love others faithfully. And you must be very careful to live the way your God wants you to” (Micah 6:8 NIrV).
GA Pledge: “As a GA, I will do my best to live a missions lifestyle that honors God by learning about missions, praying for missions, giving to missions, doing missions, and participating in the work of the church.”
1st & 2nd graders ~ led by Lori Hollar and Candy Thomas
3rd & 4th graders ~ led by Linda Austin
5th & 6th graders ~ led by Norma Hollar
A MISSIONS ORGANIZATION FOR GIRLS IN 7TH-12TH GRADES
- Weekly Meetings on Wednesday nights at 7:00 pm.
- Lessons on missions and personal witnessing
- Hands-on missions opportunities
- Summer mission trip
- Fellowship among teenage girls who provide support to each other
HOW YOUNG CAN A CHILD BE AND STILL LEARN CHRISTIAN MISSIONS CONCEPTS? THE PRESCHOOL YEARS. FROM BABIES TO KINDERGARTNERS, MISSION FRIENDS® PROVIDES THE BUILDING BLOCKS OF FAITH AND A BASIC AWARENESS OF GOD’S LOVE FOR ALL PEOPLE.
Director of Mission Friends is Carolyn Brown